My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Half-Way Through Senior Year

Senior Year: "the fourth and last year of high school or college."  For most college students (particularly those who actually plan ahead and think about Life After College before their Senior year), it is a time of mingled fear, anticipation, and excitement that at last they will be in the "real world."

Senior Year just sounds nostalgic to me.  It means: the last of four beautiful and blessed years at Christendom College.  The past three years have seen new friendships made, some tested; broken hearts; good grades and bad grades; and a spiritual life that sometimes makes me wonder: "Why did you bother going to a Catholic College if you're just going to ignore and spurn every opportunity to grow in your Faith that Christendom gives you?"

Another beautiful aspect of Christendom College is something that I like to call "The Christendom Family."  I discovered it especially in Junior Year, and have realized that it stretches beyond the boundaries of each year's incoming Freshman Class, or the split in the Junior Class that the Semester in Rome can cause, or the professor-student gap.  It is cemented in prayer requests, at daily Mass where one prays not just with one's fellow students but also with your professors, in professors' offices, and at Sunday Brunch as one chases the professors' children around the Commons.


It is the Christendom Family that has molded me and helped me grow, and that will have to show some "tough love" in May 2012 by throwing me out into the big back ocean of Life After Christendom.
Senior Year = Senior Thesis.  Forty pages on redemptive suffering in the theology of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.  A thesis on "suffering" could sound morbid to some, but Sheen focuses on it as redemptive.  As I explain in my Thesis, Sheen taught that suffering can become redemptive when united with the sufferings of Christ and with love, which helps one unite his suffering with Christ and thus redeem it.


[Disclaimer: I might recognize the beauty and the profundity of what Sheen says about suffering, but I in no way practice what he teaches.]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The above is a revision of a blog post drafted in August.  I had planned to write a blog post about Advent and Christmas, but that will come later.

God Bless and--in the words of the Servant of God Fulton John Sheen--God Love You!