My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Questions about 2011

Inspiration for this blog post comes from The Diatribist.  Thanks!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Wrote a 40-page Senior Thesis

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Nope and nope.   I usually make too many resolutions, then end up keeping none of them.  Then by the time I realize those are broken, Lent comes around and more resolutions get broken.  Too weak-willed.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.


5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A driver's license...and the motivation to actually get one.

6. What countries did you visit?
None.

7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
April 12, the day our beloved History Professor told us that he had cancer.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 
See # 1.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Too many of them.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Pneumonia.  For the third time in as many years.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new laptop.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I don't know.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Again, I don't know; I don't read the news.

14. Where did most of your money go?
My cell-phone.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Nothing.  I'm a phlegmatic...I never get "really, really, really excited" about anything.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
None.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? That's a tough one to answer.
ii. thinner or fatter? Probably fatter, due to large quantities of Thesis-induced-chocolate-consumption.
iii. richer or poorer? I am going to have to copy part of The Diatribist's response: "Based on money: poorer, life experience: richer."

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Too many things to list

20. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent it bouncing around like a rubber ball between my dad's house and mom's apartment.  :p  Divorce is EVIL.

22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Nope.  After two crushes in three years, I'm actively *trying* to keep myself from falling in love...there are ways and means of distracting oneself from any flitting crushes that might pop into one's head.  If God wants me to get married, He'll send the guy in my direction; I am *not* going guy-hunting, and I am most definitely *not* going to go "guy-hunting" among all the young men my mother thinks I should meet.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
House, M.D.  Not that I approve of the lifestyle of many of the characters; I enjoy the character development and the Wilson/House friendship.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope

26. What was the best book you read?
"The Spiritual Legacy of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen," by Fr. Charles Connor

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"More Beautiful You," by Jonny Diaz

28. What did you want and get?
A new laptop

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
None

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I  worked in the library for half a day, and got a surprise birthday party from the wonderful people there.  Some friends took me out for dinner that evening.  I turned 22.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't know

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I guess boring and not very "fashion"-able; denim skirt, please?

34. What kept you sane?
Christian music on Pandora, coffee, and lots of chocolate

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None; don't follow celebrities

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
None; don't follow politics.

37. Who did you miss?
Nobody, really

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Didn't meet too many people, but I guess I would say the freshman who moved in with my other roommate (who's a sophomore) and me (who's a senior)...no one told her that was near-suicidal.  None of us have killed the others yet, though.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
The one that keeps getting rammed into my head but that I can't yet understand: I'm 22, and I'm an adult, and I can/should make my own decisions without letting my paranoid/manipulative mother guilt-trip me into doing what she wants me to do.  (Ouch, did I just write that?  I'm never this honest except in private messages...darn.)

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Well, this is one that I listened to an awful lot this year:
"You're not alone
For I am here
Let me wipe away every fear
My love, I've never left your side
I have seen you through the darkest night
And I'm the One that's loved you all your life
All of your life"
--Meredith Andrews, "You're Not Alone"