My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Senioritis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less than five weeks until I get kicked out of this place. In 30 days, I'm going to walk across a stage and receive a diploma--"a certificate or deed issued by an educational institution, such as a university, that testifies that the recipient has successfully completed a particular course of study or confers an academic degree" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diploma). Specifically, I will receive the academic degree of Bachelor of Arts in Theology.

I don't want to leave this place! Christendom has become my home--"a place of residence or refuge, a mental or emotional state of refuge or comfort". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home.) O, and yeah, I've lived here for several years. It's been more of a home to me than the home I left in California at the age of 19. The people here have been family...Freshman Year I gained an entire second family: a professor, his wife, and their 9 children opened their home and their hearts to me. They basically adopted me, and I adopted them. Christendom is HOME, and I'm going to be leaving my Christendom Family.

Three weeks of school left, then Finals week. I'm finished with Finals on Tuesday, May 8. I'll have Wednesday and Thursday to pack and freak out about the fact that I'm graduating, then on Friday Daddy and my sisters will get here, and Saturday I'll graduate.

All of that plus the Student Loan Exit Interview and finding out just exactly how many thousands of dollars I'm in debt to this place, plus complicatedness (which isn't a word, but I frankly don't care right now) regarding driving lessons, plus stupid senior meetings in which we don't decide anything except that we'll decide later about the Senior Prank and Senior Gift...has left me in a FOUL mood. The only good things that might happen anytime soon are a) tomorrow's Friday...which means I get paid and b) our beloved History Professor is going to tell me about the Book of Job tomorrow. That last might provoke another reflection on the perpetual problem of suffering...

Speaking of suffering, I do have one thing for which to be grateful. One year ago today, our beloved History Professor got up on the stage in the Commons, thanked us for our prayers and support, and told us he had cancer. Today, he's cancer-free, walking around campus (though still getting P.T. to increase range of motion in his knee and strengthen his muscles), teaching...with the same engaging and exciting style, and being an awesome mentor. Thank God!

Thank You, Lord, for healing our beloved History Professor, for letting him return to teaching, for everything he's done for me. Bless him, give him Your strength and peace, and repay him...because I never can...for his kindness.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be afraid to leave this nest. You'll be able to spread your good, truth, and knowledge to the world around you.

    ReplyDelete