My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Another Gratitude List

After reading this short yet beautiful post over at Association of Catholic Women Bloggers, I decided that maybe I did have the brain cells and inspiration to write a blog post.  It's not going to be a well thought-out "intellectual" post on Sheen, nor a meditation; but instead, a simple list of things for which I'm grateful.

Things For Which I am Grateful Today, Thursday, September 27, 2012:
  • Not waking up "on the wrong side of bed" (I did that yesterday and the day before, and it just ruined my day...if I wake up grouchy, I put job-hunting and other things ahead of my prayers, and the day just gets more rotten);
  • The smell, taste, and warm comfort of freshly-brewed coffee (yes, I am a coffee addict, but not for much longer);
  • Morning Prayer, which always strengthens me for another day (this is listed after the cup of coffee to follow a quote from Fulton Sheen's The Priest Is Not His Own: "The average American is physically, biologically, psychologically and neurologically unable to do anything worthwhile before he has a cup of coffee!  And that goes for prayer too."
  • The prayers that other people say for me, especially when I come out of my shell enough to ask for them;
  • My growing recognition of the power of prayer.  The prayer requests that I see on the Facebook Never Give Up Club page, and the Catholic Bloggers Page remind me that, while prayer is the only thing that I can do for these friends and acquaintances, it is a lot; and I'm struggling to realize that their prayers for me do help.
  • The fact that I have a roof over my head;
  • The generosity of my dear friend and rooommate (the one responsible for the fact that I have a roof over my head) in sharing her apartment with me and putting up with, well, me;
  • The fact that, even though I've been jobless for 4 months, I have plenty of food in the pantry, and I'm learning important budgeting skills;
  • The time that I have to pray the Liturgy of the Hours, to read Fulton Sheen, to ask for the grace to grow in trust and in surrender during this challenging jobless period;
  • The inspiration I get from other Catholic blogs, such as Never Give Up;
  • The time my roommate and I spend relaxing and watching "Adam-12" after she gets home from work and before she starts preparing for another day of school;
  • Night Prayer, which always calms me and banishes "the terror of the night," and "the business that walketh about in the dark" (Ps. 90:5, 6) that otherwise would have me freaking out about my jobless state;
  • Last night's peaceful sleep (in spite of the construction work going on right outside);
  • The facts that I'm alive, that by the grace of God I'm a Catholic, that I graduated from Christendom; and that I have many many friends who are always there for me;
  • The fact that I love Fulton Sheen.
God Love y'all!

Yours in all things Theological and in love of Fulton Sheen,
Emily
aka "Hurt-ey"

No comments:

Post a Comment