My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Monday, January 7, 2013

Questions About 2012

Inspiration for this blog post comes from The Diatribist  Thanks!

For comparison, see my answers to these questions at the end of 2011.

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
On Saturday, May 12, 2012, I graduated from Christendom College with a B.A. in Theology.  My GPA wasn't stellar, but I graduated!!!

(My diploma, which I finally received on December 21, 2012)

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolution, and will you make more for 2013?
No, I did not keep my 2012 New Year's resolution; I can't even remember what it was.
This year's resolution is to actually be an auxiliary member of the Legion of Mary, and to pray the Rosary and Legion Prayers daily.  Mary, my mother, help me!

3. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
At the end of 2011, my answer to this question was: "A driver's license...and the motivation to actually get one."  I don't have the license, yet, but I do have my learner's permit, putting March 12, 2012 down as one of the most exciting days of the year!

It would be nice to get a license this year, but right now, I need a full-time job.  Also, I have to find a place to live by Feb. 13; could use some prayers!

4. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
  • Monday, March 12, the day I got my learner's permit, and drove down Shenandoah Shores Road from the storage units to the campus of Christendom College without causing bodily harm or damage to myself, the professor in the passenger's seat next to me, his car, or any of the others cars on the road!
  • Saturday, May 12, the day I graduated from Christendom College with a B.A. in Theology.
  • Friday, December 21, the day I received my diploma.  (See #1.)
5. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
See #1.

6. What was your biggest failure?
Not doing enough job-hunting during my last semester of college.

7. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A sinus infection.  At least it wasn't pneumonia again....

8. What was the best thing you bought?
The 1983 Code of Canon Law.

9. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My mother's.

10. Where did most of your money go?
Bills and my cellphone.

11. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Fulton Sheen was declared Venerable on June 29, 2012!!!

12. What song will always remind you of 2012?
"You're My Little Girl," by Go Fish.  The artist wrote it when his wife told him how hard her parents' divorce had been for her.  And since I spent a majority of 2012 wrestling with the fact of my parents' divorce 17 years ago (until then, I'd just accepted it as a fact of life), that song speaks to me.

13. Compared to this time last year, are you:
     i. happier or sadder?  Both, in different ways.
     ii. thinner or fatter?  Thinner.  Being on a very tight budget does that to you.
     iii. richer or poorer?  I have to copy part of The Diatribist's response: "Based on money: poorer; life experience, richer."

14. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Praying, job-hunting, reading, and re-working my Thesis.

15. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Freaking-out, wasting time, and complaining.

16. How did you spend Christmas?
In southern Indiana with my dad, sisters, neices, and nephews.  Dad and I went to see the movie "Lincoln."

17. Did you fall in love in 2012?
No.

18. What was your favorite TV program?
Adam-12.

19.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't have this time last year?
"Hate"?  No.  "Feel sorry for, miss, wish that she would return to reality"?: my mother.

  20. What was the best book you read?
Making Your Way After Your Parents' Divorce, which I'm still plowing through.  It's a very painful book, but it's good and healing, too.

21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
See. #12.

22. What did you want and get?
Well, there was one particular Fulton Sheen book that I needed if I wanted to work on my 2013 goal of editing and expanding my Thesis.  I couldn't find it anywhere--I felt like a failure in my self-proclaimed "job" as "Seeker of the Lost Books."  My sister managed to find it, and for Christmas she gave me Sheen's 1935 book The Fullness of Christ.

23. What was your favorite film of this year?
None.

24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 23 on Pentecost Sunday, which was pretty cool!  (The last time I shared a birthday with the Church, I was 18.)  A friend surprised me by coming up to visit for a few weeks; we went to Mass on campus, hung out with friends, and watched superhero movies.  It was a good birthday.

25. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having a full-time job, and knowing for certain where I'm going to be in 5 weeks, 6 months, a year from now, etc.  But I will say this whole "Life-After-College" thing has given me innumerable opportunities to trust Our Lord.

26. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Me?  Fashion concept?  Non-existent.  But, for the first time in 12 years, I'm wearing jeans.

27. What kept you sane?
A dear friend, who helped me get through the last semester of college with its concomitant fears of graduating, of "Life-After-College," and a lot of personal issues; encouraged me in the first few really rough months after college; and supported me by his prayers, encouragement, and love.

28. Who was the best new person you met?
On July 20, Fr. Andrew Apostoli, Vice-Postulator of the Cause of Canonization of VEN. Fulton Sheen, gave a talk on Sheen at Christendom College.  I was able to go to the talk; I spoke to Fr. Apostoli after Mass, introduced myself to him, and told him that I'd written my Senior Thesis on Sheen.  He asked for a copy of it, which I duly sent him.  That was rather nerve-wracking.

29. Tell us a valuable life-lesson you learned in 2012:
See my blog post Grateful for Life-Lessons Learned At Christendom.  The most important of the life-lessons listed in that post is probably:
  • “If you can hang in there, fight the good fight through the rough patches, everything will be more than OK in the end—everything will be awesome.”
That one piece of advice has kept me going for the past 5 months, has reminded me to trust God, and has given me the grace to hope that everything will be okay as long as I try to trust Him and seek His Will.

30. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
See #12 and #21.
"The ones you love they let you down,
And I want you to know that I'm sorry.
The choices that they made were wrong;
You were caught in the middle and I'm sorry.
So when the anger and the pain
Get the best of you,
I know it seems like you're all alone
But I am feeling it too.

'Cause you're My little girl,
You're the one that I created;
No one in this world could ever be like you.
When you're cryin' in the night,
All you need to do is call Me;
I'll be there for you,
'Cause you're My little girl."