My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Responses to Responses to the Survey

It's been almost one week since I posted my survey; I've gotten seven responses; and I've decided it's time to answer the responses. So here goes.


What subjects would you like to see more of on this blog?
-I've reviewed one book on this blog; I'll try to write some posts about volunteering at the local parish library, and the book repair I just recently got back to.

-As always, I will continue to expound upon quotes from Fulton Sheen.

-I will try to post a slightly more personal view of my thoughts on divorce.

-"Personal insights"? Into what? I hope not "current events"; I don't read the paper (I get enough of that from my employer over breakfast), watch TV, or listen to the radio for news.

Why do you visit Theological-Librarian?
-If you come here to read about theology, what topics would you like to see covered? (Please answer in the comments; I'm not doing another survey, as fun as this one was.)

What is your least favorite aspect of Theological-Librarian?
Now, I know I walked right into this one...I put "You always talk about Fulton Sheen" as an option. So I suppose it's my own fault. Or maybe the respondent would have put that anyway. However, I'm still going to reply, and hopefully it won't be too much of a rant.

I know that a good 90% of my posts mention Sheen, quote Sheen, or are 100% about Sheen. I would probably gain more readers/not bore them to death, if I branched out, touched upon other writers whom I enjoy (e.g. Pope Benedict or C.S. Lewis), but Sheen is my passion. I've been reading him since I was 14. I devoted an entire semester of my college career to him. If I ever go to grad school for theology, I would probably write my dissertation on Sheen.

While I was writing my thesis, someone told me that Sheen was over-rated, expressed surprise that I was writing a theology thesis on someone whose theology was not equal to Pope Benedict's, and told me that Sheen was outdated and only spoke to the Cold War era (i.e., only spoke against Communism and never said anything else), and basically put down my entire Thesis. The following semester, someone else, while discussing The Look of Catholics: Portrayals in Popular Culture from the Great Depression to the Cold War, by Anthony Burke Smith, said that Sheen's television program watered down Catholicism. In the years since I graduated, I have encountered people who have asserted--and both of these are small points, but they prove a sad ignorance of someone who was very influential to the Church in America--that Sheen is the same as Cardinal Bernardin, or that he was born in El Paso, Texas (it was actually El Paso, Illiois, and I've seen at least one published book that also states that Sheen's birthplace was Texas).

All of those encounters have put me on the warpath to prove that Sheen is still relevant, that the Church in America still needs his example, and that he did in fact teach theology; he didn't just popularize the Faith.

If I can relate it to Sheen--there's a 90% chance I can relate an anecdote of his--I probably will.

* * *
-I will try to post more frequently, I promise!!

What do you want to know about your author?
-My favorite color is blue; dogs are my favorite animal, although I'm allergic to them. Carrots are my favorite vegetable.
-I've never given pretzels much thought.
-As for what makes me so Fulton crazy: I love his writing style. I love how he sees the Cross in every aspect of the life of Our Blessed Lord.

What's your Favorite Fulton Sheen book?
-I'm glad to see that Life of Christ is on here 3 times.

-No, I'm not going to hit/otherwise injure anyone who hasn't read any Sheen, however, my parting injunction to all of you, whether you've never read Sheen, hate him, or love him, is this:

Read Life of Christ. Just do it. The first few chapters are beautiful for Advent and the Christmas season; the chapters on the Public Life can be plowed through during the first few weeks of Ordinary Time; and then Lent gives you seven weeks for a prayerful reading of Sheen's chapters on the last week of Our Blessed Lord.

Read. It.


God Love Y'All!

No comments:

Post a Comment