My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Day 1: Scheduled?

I'm a bit late (as usual) to the bandwagon, but I am challenging myself to 31 days of writing, and linking up with Mary at Passionate Perseverance and Julie at The Corner With a View.

I have too much time on my hands right now; so this is a way to force myself to get on a schedule, to set time for prayer, for job-hunting, for working on my resume, for blogging, etc.

Schedules?
Me, stick to a schedule? What? I've made schedules before. Then they get buried under the piles of paper on my desk, or I stick them in a book as a bookmark...and there go all those good plans. "The road to hell is paved with [broken] good intentions" said someone.

Right now, though, I realize that I desperately need a schedule. I can't keep rolling out of bed whenever I feel like it, have breakfast, and turn the computer on to job-hunt (which, of course, quickly becomes reading blogs, Facebook, checking my email)...and before I know it, half the day's gone by.

So as soon as this post is finished, I'm turning this computer off, pulling out my trusty notepad and a black pen (with red for the really important things) and making myself a schedule.

Then I have to stick to it...all ye holy men and women, saints of God, pray for me!

Prayer
Recently, I saw the movie War Room. I thought it was good; maybe it wasn't the best-quality movie; but I'm not a movie buff, and I don't watch movies for their artistic quality/perfect script/whatever. If I watch a "Christian" movie, I'm watching it to see the message.

The message of War Room was simple: prayer. Make a time, stick to it...if you need to, clean out your closet so you have a dedicated space to pray. All types of prayer were included, but the focus was intercessory prayer, which is definitely something I need to work on, because I know so, so many people who need prayers, who have asked for prayers; and I say "yes" and promise to pray, but sometimes it doesn't happen. So I am a blocking out a time--today--for prayer. It will probably have to change as my schedule changes with the job-hunt (and, hopefully, an eventual job), but for now it is set in stone. Praying for the grace to stick to it.

Work
Right now, my job is to look for a job. (If only someone could pay me to do that....) The problem with online applications is the Internet is such a good time-waster. And some of the questions on these applications..."Why do you want to work for XYZ?" The honest answer is: "I need a job so I have money to pay my bills and put food on the table!" (Can I put that on the application?) Another sometimes annoying question: "Why are you a great candidate for XYZ?" When XYZ is something mundane like food service...and don't get me wrong, somebody's gotta do it, but I'm most definitely not passionate about it and was only looking into it as a stopgap measure...there isn't necessarily a solid reason for choosing this restaurant over that.

Resume Woes
Resumes are a pain when you're a recent college graduate. I don't have a lot of experience, so the chronological format makes the most sense. Yet with that format, the thing I would like to do most--get back into library work--becomes buried under 3 years of caregiving and teaching. So with some help from the people at Christians are Networking, sponsored by Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington, I'm trying to change the format of my resume to "hybrid." Who knew that wrestling with formatting in Microsoft Word could be so frustrating?

Blogging
Hopefully this challenge will get me back into writing daily, and satisfy those survey-takers who said that my infrequent posts were their least favorite aspect of this blog. (Hint: the survey is now up on the right sidebar of the blog! Take it if you haven't already!)

Also on the blogging front: 99 people "like" this blog's Facebook page. The next person to click that "like" button gets to interrupt this series of posts with a suggestion for a blog topic.

Goodbye for now, and God Love Y'All!

No comments:

Post a Comment