My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Monday, October 26, 2015

Days 18 & 19: Books

I'm a bookworm. Yesterday and today, I went to two libraries; so I figured this was a good time to write about some books I'm reading these days.

Sunday (day 18):

On the last Sunday of each month,I volunteer at the parish library. It's very rare that I walk out of the library without at least one book under my arm. Yesterday was no different; I came home with four books.

An Invitation to Faith: an A to Z primer on the Thought of Pope Benedict XVI looked interesting; but of its very nature, it jumped around and was thus hard to follow.

So I put it down, thinking I would exercise my brain cells and read Truth and Tolerance, by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger. 

I love the writings of Pope Emeritus Benedict--both those he wrote as Cardinal Ratzinger, and his Papal writings. But Truth and Tolerance is very dense--all it did yesterday was put me to sleep! In the middle of the day, no less. I'll have to try to pick it up again tomorrow.

A Shepherd Speaks, by Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz. It goes in a pretty logical order; the one God, the Trinity, Scripture, the 4 Last Things, the Church, the organization of the Church (the parts on the Roman Curia look interesting to this Canon Law geek!), Creeds, Canon Law, fun sections ("The Bishop's Mail" is one!), the Liturgical Year, the Sacraments, Morality, grace, prayer, and Our Blessed Lady. So far, it's been a good read.

Married Saints and Blesseds, by Ferdinand Holbock, is one I picked up because my roommate was talking Saturday night about how few married saints she knows of. So I thought this would interest both of us.

Monday (day 19):

Today, I went to the public library. I needed some easy, light reads, so I checked out a few of the Hardy Boys mysteries.

On the other side from light and easy, I checked out MAT for Dummies. I have vague thoughts of taking the MAT (some schools accept it for an MSLS [library degree]), so it'll be around on the off-chance that I get motivated to study. Grad school's one of those things...it'd be cool to do, but then there's the major obstacle that I don't think I'm smart enough to survive the GRE (hence, the MAT) or grad school. So I'll probably never do it. Plus, it costs a lot of money, and money is one of those things that's in short supply these days.

I also have a few books out on writing--Write Your Novel in 30 Days--because of my very vague thoughts of writing a novel.

Well, that's all for now, folks!

God Love Y'All!