My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Friday, December 18, 2015

God Loves YOU

The last days of Advent are upon us.  In one week, we will celebrate the Birth of our Savior.

It's been an interesting Advent...hence, the lack of posts...over here at the Theological-Librarian.

The first week of Advent was rough; there was a lot of anger and fear in my heart and head...most of the anger directed at myself (for cutting back on my joub hours), most of the fear directed at God (that He wasn't going to provide...that's He's sitting up there saying: "Ha, Em, you were stupid and quit your job, so now you're on your own"). I know, intellectually, that He's not like that; but the fear is still there.

The anger and fear weren't helped when someone--who is supposed to be helping me work through these things--basically told me that I was "learning my lesson" re: it being imprudent to quit one's job before having another one lined up. Those words made it very hard for me to listen or pay attention to or believe him when he added that, yes, God would provide.

The thing that's kept me going through these past few weeks has been words of advice from a very dear friend who--no matter how hard I lash out--is always ready to remind me: No, God loves you. Regardless of the anger or contempt you feel towards yourself, God loves you.

That's something we all need to be reminded of at all times, but especially during this Advent season. That's why we're preparing for that Baby in the manger.

The Baby lying in that manger is God. And He is lying there because He loves YOU. Personally, individually, as if you were the only person He created.

He is there for YOU. God took on human flesh, enclosed Himself within the virginal womb of Our Blessed Mother for 9 months, and submitted to being born in a filthy, cold stable, warmed only by the breath of animals, out of love for YOU.

That is what we celebrate this Christmas: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son" (Jn. 3:16).

He loves YOU. And He loves ME.

And the only proper response to that love--the love of a Baby Who is also our God, and Who loves us with heartbreaking tenderness--is love.

Along with that love has to come trust...which is another post for another day. I promise I'll try to not leave y'all hanging!

God Love Y'All!