My thoughts and reflections on my Catholic Faith, Fulton Sheen, the problem of suffering, and books

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Chores, Surveys, and other randomness

I had thought about a few posts the other day...but unfortunately, I have begun to look at this blog as a chore; my thought process goes something along these lines: "O dear, I sorta told my readers I would write a blog post. Now I have to do it, dagnabbitall."

I just checked the stats of the two surveys I'd posted on here....A Majority Vote and Favorites and saw that someone had answered the survey recently. If you haven't taken either survey, please take them! I know they're old, but they're still open! (Especially since I forgot they existed....)

It seems that y'all's least favorite thing about this blog is the infrequent posts...I'm sorry! I frequently forget I have a blog......

Since my last post, I went out to the ol' alma mater for the Fourth of July, had a good day with my adopted family. And I went out to a surprise party to bid farewell to my adopted younger brother as he heads off to seminary in Rome. It was a ton of fun!

I can't remember if I told y'all this or not, but I have a new job. Actually, it's the same job I've been doing (caregiver for seniors), just with an agency instead of privately with only one couple. It's going...ok, actually. My attitude toward it hasn't been the best, leading to a lot of anticipatory dread the night before a shift, or a new client...but the anticipation has been worse than the reality so far.

The cons: I'm putting a lot of miles on my car, my first real paycheck won't be until the end of the month. (I forgot to call the office to tell them I was going to pick up my first actual paycheck, so they mailed it to me; it'll probably be here Monday. But it will be small, because I only worked one day in June.)

The pros: no one has had a psychotic break and flailed a hammer near my head. ("Hammer-phobia"...it's a thing. I invented it three years ago. I suffer from it. It is a fear of hammers being swung around wildly, or used for something other than their intended purpose.) So far, the elderly people I've met have been polite, kind, etc.

The cons: people telling me "O, you're just like Mother Teresa!" when I tell them what I do. No, I'm not. She was a saint, she took care of the poorest of the poor" without pay. I am not a saint. I need money to pay the bills (ugh, bills...), to put food on the table, to keep a roof over my head. I do not think I could do what I'm doing for nothing. Not that it's been that difficult yet...but this is not my ideal job.


The cons: I think my job is trying to steal my life away. Since I told them I'm available from 9 am - 4 pm Monday through Friday...then I have to be available. This past week, I was scheduled for a one-hour shift Thursday. So I thought I'd go meet up with a friend. Then I got a text Tuesday telling me that they had assigned me to a 6-hour shift. My life belongs to this senior care agency....must not have read all the fine print on all those papers I signed. "I, Emily C. Hurt, hereby sign my life away to your agency for 24 hours a week."

Which reminds me of a poem I've been looking for. It was in one of the readers from Seton Home Study School; I think it was about a totalitarian government. The only lines I remember are: "Patriot, we want you whole, your ~ body, your ~ soul!" and the patriot replies something along the lines of "My soul belongs to Christ alone." Does anyone know what poem I'm talking about?